Recommended Milestones For Pediatric Check-Ups
During the first year of life, we recommend having your child’s spine checked for stress at a minimum:
- Immediately after birth
- On holding up his or her head
- When able to sit alone
- When starting to crawl
- When standing alone
- On taking his or her first step
Chiropractic During Pregnancy: The Webster Technique
Tate Gentile, DC, CACCP
Chiropractic has become more and more used by pregnant mothers and their babies as they discover how essential the function of the spine and nervous system are to their overall health….. pre-conception, conception, development, delivery, and on.
Pregnant mothers are susceptible to sacral and pelvic changes because of the change in hormones, weight gain, and the associated biomechanic changes in posture. The aim of the Webster technique is to decrease the effects of subluxations in the sacrum and pelvis through a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment, in order to improve the neuro-biomechanical function.
Restoring this function will decrease the stress on the mothers spine and nervous system. This simple, safe correction of sacral subluxation will allow for improved nerve function, pelvic alignment, and balance in the muscles and ligaments of the pelvic girdle. This allows for best possible birth positioning, optimal birth outcome for the baby, prevention of dystocia (difficult labor), and decrease in symptoms such as low back pain and sciatica.
In practice, the feedback received from mothers that I performed the Webster technique on during pregnancy has been overwhelmingly positive. I observed marked improvements in their health, quality of life, and overall disposition as they continued care throughout their pregnancy. They reported positive birth outcomes with beautiful birth experiences.
Pregnancy is a critical period for both the mother and the baby. It prepares the baby for the external world that they will enter and it lays the framework for their future health. A baby’s potential is a quality developed during pregnancy. It needs optimum physical, chemical, and emotional conditions to manifest its greatest possibility. Through chiropractic and the Webster technique, a mother can achieve optimal functioning of her nervous system, which in turn improves her health and creates conditions for her child with the greatest health advantage possible.
Potential benefits of the Webster Technique:
For the mother:
- removes nerve disturbance, vital to the communication to all other systems and functions of the body.
- prepares pelvis and sacrum by balancing the joints, muscles, and ligaments improving pregnancy and birth.
- decreases potential for unnecessary intervention by improving function of mother.
For the baby:
- removes nerve disturbance to the mother, allowing clear communication to the baby.
- pelvic balance allows optimal positioning of the baby for birth.
- optimal positioning decreases dystocia (difficult labor), minimizing trauma caused by intervention.